It’s gonna be another hot one today… a good day for inside stuff! Actually I am catching some morning sun on my balcony 43 degrees here in the sun before it gets too hot!
Some of you keep commenting or asking why we are not traveling as much in Brazil as we did in China. Good Question!
Well…the reason is simple. We just don’t have enough available vacation days like we did when we were living in China. And as we are living in these wonderful exotic countries, someone has to work! Actually work is the reason we get to do this, and we are so thankful!
And it seems as though our family wasn’t too keen to visit us in China, so we had ALL our vacation days to enjoy ourselves, But they want to come to Brazil and we are so happy to show them around!
When we lived in China last year for 14 months we traveled quite a bit, it’s affordable, and there are just so many places to see…so many more I want to see! In Brazil, we had a bigger adjustment…at least I did, and so we are taking two home trips to Canada this year. We booked days off for David’s twin brother’s visit in July, our Anniversary weekend, James’ visit in August, Home trip in September, Andrew’s visit in November, and Christmas Home trip in December. And unfortunately with all those days off, I think it leaves one left to tag on a weekend.
I realized this as I was searching the internet, planning a little getaway in October. I have had my heart set on going to Peru. I mean REALLY set on this trip!! I want to see the famous Machu Picchu. I thought we could do it in a weekend + a couple days… What I didn’t realize was that David only has 1 day to use and that even though Peru is in South America and next to Brazil it would still take us at least 9 hours to fly there…almost like flying home! Bummer that trip is out!!
So I googled top 10 destinations to see in Brazil…
1. Sao Paulo- the largest city in Brazil with fantastic shopping, museums, the arts and theatre and great hotels and restaurants.
2. Rio- famous beaches, Christ Statue, Carnival, Sugar Loaf and so much more
3. Buzios- is where the Brazilians go when they want a beach holiday
4. Iguazu Falls- enormous set of waterfalls that lines a huge canyon on the Argentinian/Brazilian border.
5. Brasilia- capital of Brazil, famous for it’s architecture
6. Fortaleza- Famous for its music, Fortaleza has some of the best city beaches in Brazil.
7. Salvador- the original capital of Brazil
8. Manaus- gateway to the Amazon
9. Florianopolis- a beach hot spot and unique city, that part of the city is on the mainland of Brazil, but the rest is on Santa Catarina Island
10. Recife- the Brazilian Venice because of waterways that run through the city.
and I will add two more because they made a few lists too…
11. Paraty- a quiet seaside town that was founded by Portuguese settlers in the late 1600s on the rise of the Brazilian gold rush.
12. Pantanal- one of the world’s largest wetlands of any kind. Better than the Amazon for seeing wildlife in it’s natural environment
Looking at the list I’d say for not traveling we have done pretty well…We have been to Rio many times, Sao Paulo, Paraty two times, and Buzios. We have also explored many of the areas around where we live that are well known like Penedo and Itatiaia as well as taken drives through the country to small towns and villages. So we are getting around a bit.
The question remains… Will we go somewhere in October? and where? And, It can only be for 3 days and 2 nights, unless David can juggle that around. Hmm? What do I REALLY want to see now that Peru is ruled out. And do we want to stay in Brazil or take the opportunity to see a different country? Back to the internet for my research!! Did I mention, I am in my happy place when I am researching places to travel? Jan…I think you can relate…